Luke Apthorpe & Family may require users to provide contact information when making enquiries about our services via the website. This allows us to follow-up enquiries by using the information the user has chosen to provide to us. In doing this the user’s information is stored, should the need arise for contact in future or for marketing purposes.
The user may request the removal of this information at any time. If your personal information is removed from our system, the user will still have access to our website, but we will not be able to process any requests or provide further information regarding the user’s enquiries.
Luke Apthorpe & Family never provide any user’s personal information to any third-party for commercial or other purposes unless required to do so by law.
For Funeral Arrangements, Pre-paid or Pre-arranged Funeral Arrangements, Monumental Work Requests and Floral Requests and General Client Requests:
- Luke Apthorpe & Family is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information of the families it serves and its employees. We value the trust of those we deal with and of the public and recognize that maintaining this trust requires that we be transparent and accountable in how the personal information we receive is treated. We are committed to collecting, using and disclosing personal information responsibly and only to the extent necessary for the goods and services we provide. Luke Apthorpe & Family Funeral Directors complies with the National Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988.
- We collect a variety of personal information from you to enable us to tailor our service to meet your personal needs. It is our aim to provide you with the best service possible We collect personal information when you fill in an arrangement form or pre-paid contract, phone us, send us a letter or when you visit us in person. The choice of how much personal information you disclose to us is left completely up to you. If you are comfortable providing us with personal information, we are able to provide a more enhanced service. In most cases we are unable to provide these enhanced services unless personal information is provided.. The information we request is information that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in these circumstances. To complete and handle accordingly all forms necessary to register the death with the government, provide the estate with forms necessary to conclude the settlement of the estate, including pension, and or insurance forms. To provide sufficient information to related services such as cemetery, clergy and church to allow them to carry out their requested duties. To gather sufficient information as to safeguard Luke Apthorpe & Family Funeral Directors and ensure that we are dealing with the appropriate legally responsible individuals, charged with the responsibility for making funeral arrangements, and to assist us in the collection of payment. To assist people in making funeral arrangements in advance of need and if requested to properly deposit prepayment funds with The Newcastle Friendly Society. Examples of the types of information we collect include but are not limited to: name, home contact information, insurance benefit coverage, gender, age, ethnic or country of origin, marital status, occupation, religion, employment status, marital status, parents' names and country of origin. Luke Apthorpe & Family Funeral Directors will collect sufficient information to invoice clients for goods and services not paid for at the time of arrangements and to collect unpaid accounts. Certain information such as names, addresses and telephone numbers which are published in telephone directories are not considered personal information, however we will not under any circumstances give out any information unless instructed to do so by the Executor or Nominated Next of Kin making funeral arrangements. Letters and Cards received Care Of Luke Apthorpe & Family will be forwarded to the Executor. Any information printed in a funeral or death notice in newspapers can be shared once printed. Funeral details cannot be given out over the phone if requested by family members or members of the general public by our professional staff unless we have been authorized to publish a funeral or death notice in a newspaper. Any other requests for information or documents by members of the public or family members will be refused, and we will report to and take direction from the Executor or Nominated Next of Kin at all times. Apart from the main reason for which you have provided personal information, we may also use or disclose your personal information for related purposes, such as servicing our relationship with you and regulatory reporting and compliance. In the future, we may use the information to provide personalised information about our products and services. We rely on agents and contractors to provide our services. Any personal information provided to these agents and contractors is provided only to perform their agreed tasks.
- We do keep our files indefinitely, in order to be able to provide assistance in the future well after our services have been provided. We have taken the following steps to ensure protection of privacy: staff have been trained to collect, use and disclose only the information necessary to fulfill our duties or as described in this policy, paper information (files) are maintained in a non-public area and stored securely. Paper information no longer required is shredded, all computer stations require a password as does the network, documents are transmitted in sealed, addressed envelopes or boxes marked confidential, a cover sheet identifying the recipient including a privacy clause will accompany the faxed information, electronic information is sent through a direct line, or is anonymized or encrypted, computers and files that can reasonably be locked in a restricted area are maintained in such a manner.
- A consent form is presented to families during at-need and pre-need funeral arrangements and is obtained from the individual authorized to do so (ie: executor/executrix/next of kin etc) and can only be obtained through signature in person. For an individual who is a minor, seriously ill, or mentally incapacitated, consent may be obtained from a legal guardian, legal next of kin, or an appointed executrix/executor. We realize that consent is only meaningful if the individuals understand how their information will be used, therefore all verbal avenues are taken by the director to ensure this.
- Luke Apthorpe & Family Funeral Directors may only disclose personal information without consent if: if is clearly in the individual's interests and consent is not available in a timely way, an emergency that threatens the life, health or security of an individual, for the investigation of a breach of law in Australia or elsewhere, publicly available information (ie: telephone directories, professional directories, statutory registries, court records and information provided by the individual to newspapers, magazine and books), to a lawyer representing the funeral home, for debt collection purposes, to comply with a subpoena, warrant or court order, at the request of a government institution for national security, law enforcement or administration, to collect a debt, and where disclosure is required by law.
- Individuals may access the personal information about themselves held by Luke Apthorpe & Family Funeral Directors. Confirmation of identity prior to access is required. We will restrict access only if it is impossible to separate this information from that of a third party. We make every effort to ensure that the information provided and maintained is correct, and therefore will co-operate in making any changes necessary once proof has been provided. Once corrected the funeral home will notify any third parties who have received the incorrect information of the correction.
- You may contact the Privacy Officer at “Luke Apthorpe & Family Funeral Directors” at 182-186 Barton Street, Kurri Kurri NSW 2327, or phone 02 4937 5348.
Agreement and Consent
When requesting the services of Luke Apthorpe & Family, Monumental & Stone or A La Mode Floral Boutique: